Sunday, September 5, 2010

'My American Family – Not a Hyphened Nation' by Darryl Tookes


Darryl Tookes, singer, pianist, composer, arranger, poet, educator, and humanitarian has joined the 'Fall In Love With America Again!' project as a participant, judge (original song, music video and short story competition) and goodwill ambassador.

"I am honored to be an official participant, judge and goodwill ambassador in this great new project: Let's all FALL IN LOVE WITH AMERICA – AGAIN!"
- Darryl Tookes, singer, pianist, composer, arranger, poet, educator, and humanitarian.

'Fall In Love With America Again!' (created by Evie Evangelou, Amber Roniger and Dennis Gelbaum) is an innovative, timely and important new documentary style web and mobile based interactive multimedia series highlighting stories from across America…our stories - about why we love America and why others need to Fall In Love With America Again!

Here's how it works - we are inviting everyone to have fun, be creative, entertaining and inspiring - tell us your story - told through short stories, letters, videos, photographs, original songs, illustrations, poetry, recipes and more. Post your work on the web, tell everyone you know (tell us too) where to view it, comment and pass it along to their friends. Our panel of judges will select the top ten winners (based on the number of views/likes/votes you get and the quality of the work...from each category. (Yes, this is a competition - we are looking for the next great American song, video, photograph, illustration…) The 'winners' - the work, the author, the artist - will be recognized through our sites/media and invited to join us on our National Touring Show and Exhibit.

For more information about the project, check out
www.fallinlovewithamericaagain.com/
and our promotional video at:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1OGAVgiVD4&feature=player_embedded

For more information about Darryl Tookes, please visit www.darryltookes.com and see/hear Darryl at www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2izGbrnzXA

'My American Family – Not a Hyphened Nation' by Darryl Tookes
One of my young students once said that he has never written a song to, for, or about God. I thought about his statement for a minute, looked into the face of this gifted young man and replied, "I think every song you write is to and for God ... whether you realize it or not. Whether about a tree, a forest, a love lost, a love found." He paused, looking puzzled, pondered, and then smiled. Knowing.

People routinely recite and sing Irving Berlin’s "God Bless America, land that I love." We hear Kate Smith’s famous recording among many renditions during the 7th inning stretch. We see the bumper sticker. Do we think about this at all?

Yes, this is my home. My great-grandfather Tom Tookes was born in this land before the Great Emancipator freed the African slaves. He was born into slavery. I knew him, and remember him well. He was my pal. We went to basketball games together. Great-grandpa Tom talked, and I listened.

Like the folkloric genealogy found in many American families, my father’s racially mixed great-grandmother Martha Whitaker – Cherokee and European – helped to raise him in the pre-integrated south. The first high school graduate in his family, my father went on to success in college, graduate school, postgraduate and life.

My maternal side were northerners. Descendants of Freedmen, and literate. This was my mother and father. Before the word was born of sacrifice and pride, they were truly African Americans. Before the hyphenation. An American family –
My American family, not a hyphened nation.

My father and my brother were soldiers. The elder achieved the rank of sergeant in a segregated US Army platoon; the younger, a pilot with the rank of lieutenant in the US Navy – less than 30 years later.

This is my heritage – OUR heritage. Our America. To paraphrase Samuel Francis Smith’s “My Country, ‘Tis Of Thee,” America is the land where my parents died, the land where my children were born – in this wonderful place called freedom, justice, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I am an American, and I love my country. I am honored to be an official participant, judge and goodwill ambassador in this great new project:
Let's all FALL IN LOVE WITH AMERICA – AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment